Wednesday, December 17, 2008

On the 9th Day (Before) Christmas...



So many of our ornaments tell a story, like this shamrock tree from last year. My mom is the giver of ornaments in our family. Every year for as long as I can remember we have gotten an ornament in our stocking, and every year when we're decorating the tree I remember that specific Christmas. Last year the three of us received our Irish ornaments...appropriate for us Sullivans.

I don't remember the year that I got this ornament, but it reminds me of the true meaning of Christmas. In read aloud time with my 5th graders we read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson. Imogene Herdman - the most unholy young lady - plays Mary in the pageant. She comes to a realization in the middle of performing about the true meaning of Christmas and that really got me thinking about Mary and all that she must have gone through. She was so young and unsure of herself and her role. Joseph did his best for her with the full knowledge that this child was not of him. I can only imagine.

No comments: